front elevation of plans

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Breaking through

We had a busy weekend.  We wanted to get the big bank of windows changed out before the cooler, wetter season started to settle in.  Amazingly Trevor, Eric, Pat and Dave were all available to help us knock it out.  It was fun having everybody back again working like we did this summer.  Friday we started with this:
Saturday morning we started the demolition.

By lunch time we had a big opening as the front of our house.  Open the backdoor and we had a real wind tunnel.
By Saturday night we had all 6 of the smaller windows replaced with 4 of the larger more efficient up-to-date windows.  Finn got to get a close look at our handy work.  I think we passed inspection.
Don't worry- he is only about 4 feet off the ground...  Perfectly safe.
Sunday the guys and I worked on getting the exterior of the front of the house trimmed and painted.  My hope was to get the old deck pulled down as well but with finish work you want to make sure it is done right, not just fast.  I guess we can pull the deck another time.  Bonnie and Dave got the new windows put in the room where Finn sleeps.
 They also managed to break through upstairs which was pretty exciting.  Now we have a good idea as to how the transition from old to new is going to happen.

Today Grandma come to town to take care of us.  Our first show of the season techs this weekend so Bonnie and I will be very busy at school.  Needless to say work on the house will stop for a few weeks.  But I'll be happy to bask in the glow of this weekend's accomplishments.


Thursday, October 6, 2011

In 116 days we went from this:

To This:

 Monday the roof was finished and Tuesday we passed our next inspection.  That means we are all enclosed, and not a moment too soon.  The past few days it's been cold and raining.  We couldn't have done it without a bunch of help.  It took a village to get this project to the point it's at today.  Many thanks go out to many friends.  Just as the girls and I were out in the street taking in our accomplishment this little guy comes out to join us.

 First tarantula I've seen at this high altitude.  It was about the same diameter as a softball.  Next step on the house is pulling electrical lines throughout the house and getting the rough plumbing in.  In a couple of weeks we are looking to replace the big bank of windows on the existing house.  Once they are installed we can pull the rest of the old deck out.